Happy Friday everyone! So many reasons to be happy and excited today!
It’s the end of the week.
It’s the first day of Spring (I am excited that it actually feels like Spring).
It’s my sister’s birthday!
It’s Wes and my 9th anniversary!
Very exciting indeed.
It is amazing to me that Wes and I have been together for a total of twelve years and married for nine! With all the comings and goings with the Marine Corps we have missed quite a few anniversaries, so much in fact I was actually a year behind last year. I was telling one of my best friends that I couldn’t believe we were going to be celebrating our 7th anniversary. She kindly reminded that it was actually our 8th anniversary. I argued for a bit and, upon further inspection, I realized that of course she was right. I then took half the day wrapping my head around the fact that I had missed an anniversary somewhere in there. I was even more shocked that I hadn’t even noticed in the first place. I laughed because such is life. Also, I was rest assured in the fact that if I wasn’t counting down each second then it must mean our marriage was doing good! haha.
In honor of our 9th anniversary I have put together a list of my happiest married moments so far, some recent and some not. We are fortunate that there have been so many beautiful moments in our lives.
The Happiest Moments
- The birth of our daughters. I am thankful that we were able to share the birth of our first daughter together. I am thankful that although he was not able to be at our second daughter’s birth the Marine Corps did everything they could to make him available via telephone. I love babies as much as the next person but was completely baffled when Maddie arrived, and I am thankful he was the one by my side as I figured out what it meant to be a mother.
- Seeing Wes turn into an amazing father. It’s like seeing a whole other side of the person you fell in love with and then falling in love with that side of him too. He is so calm, rational and creative with our girls. He plays with them on their level and is always coming up with new and fun ideas. It fills my heart with joy knowing that he is showing them what a positive male role model should look like.
- Sharing in our first major financial purchase together. We just bought our first house in February 2014 and it is by far the biggest purchase we have ever made together. It was nice after so many years of renting and living on base to finally have something we could call ours! (Amazingly enough I don’t have a picture of our house, making mental note to do that now.)
- The after buying a house part. When we started to make the space our very own! It has been such an adventure deciding on paint and furniture and yard maintenance (okay that last one is truly a stretch but I tried!).
- This past year really getting to live with one another and learn about the other person. I know, I know after nine years of marriage you are probably thinking, what?! In our entire relationship, this last year has been the longest we have ever lived together consecutively, without any deployments, work ups or trainings. Amazing, right? This past year, one of the happiest moments has been knowing that he is coming home every. single. day. It is nice to have some normalcy, even if it is only for a little bit. (I will take what I can get!)
- I have been enjoying really getting to know one another. The first couple years in a marriage we were both still figuring it all out, especially since we were pretty young when we got married. These last couple years of marriage there is so much more solidity, more hominess (it was hard to have hominess when Wes was always gone). Our relationship is growing, and I am so proud to be a part of it as it does. We are evolving as a couple and there is so much more on the horizon. We are no longer so blindly in love that we look past each other’s flaws or faults. We know each other, we love each other and we take each other as we are, flaws and all. We compromise, we discuss and we brainstorm together. It is truly an amazing thing!
- I love the comfort of our marriage. Even when I am having a bad day and feel like the world is going to come crashing down on me he is able to make it right. He takes me in his arms, and I am safe.
“Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite”
Well, that’s it. Now, on to the more awesome anniversary celebration of doing laundry and dishes! He’s still at work and Aubrey is sick, so it looks like it’s a night in with some takeout and a movie. I wonder what’s in store for our 10th anniversary, maybe doing dishes together? haha. Seriously though there is nowhere else I would rather be.
Have a great weekend!